One of the first things that come to mind when we talk about Cyprus is the delicious food, of course.
Here are just a few of the dishes that you can try in Cyprus:
1.Hellim Cheese : One of the first tastes that comes to mind when Cyprus is mentioned is halloumi cheese. Halloumi made with sheep and goat milk is used in various dishes, salads and desserts as well as breakfast. One of the tastes you will not disgust with even if you eat everyday.
2.Ceviz Macunu: Walnut paste has been prepared on the island since ancient times as a guest treat. This was served firstly to the guest. The preparing is extremely interesting because they use unhydrated lime.
3. Magarına Bulli: It is a chicken pasta, in Cyprus. Magarina means pasta, bulli means chicken. You can find it in almost every restaurants. Although it doesn’t sound like a very special dish, chicken pasta in Cyprus is special.
4.Şeftali Kebabı: It is made with sheep or goat meat and fried on the grill by giving the shape of a meatball. It is the most popular kebab in Cyprus. The story of Şeftali Kebabı is based on a simple word change. The original name of the dish, Şef Ali Kebap, took the form of Şeftali Kebabı.
5. Lalangı: It is one of the most special food in Cyprus. It is prepared by placing boiled rabbit meat between the dough and frying. You may not find it in every restaurant in Cyprus but, but many home-cooked restaurants can make lalangı on special request.
6. Molehiya: Molehiya food is named after the specially grown molehiya plant. It is usually cooked with meat. We can say that it is not a missing taste from the houses of Cypriots. It may be one of their favorite and most consumed food. If you like meat and vegetable dishes, it is a must to try.
7. Gullurikya: Gullurikya is a type of dessert that is unique to Cyprus cuisine and is very practical to make. It is made with flour, water and trace of salt. Locust molasses is a must.
8. Samarella: It is a Cyprus appetizer obtained by drying goat meat with plenty of salt and thyme between pine leaves in summer. While pine leaves add a flavor to the meat, it also protects meat from flies during drying. Also salt makes the meat bake more beautiful. This flavor, which is very exhausting in preparing, is generally consumed with cognac.
9. Fırın Kebabı (Kleftiko): Fırın Kebabı which is said to be the most beautiful when it is made in stone oven comes first after Şeftali Kebabı. It is made by wrapping the boned lamb meat in foil with potato, onion bay leaves. Fırın Kebabı means a delicious meat of cotton consistency.